Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of the areas they teach.

When I enter a learning environment, the first thing I consider is what I know off the top of my head about the group. I then figure out what they are currently learning about, or what the next thing they will be transitioning into is. This will then bring me back to what my knowledge is on the topic. If we are talking about a career education topic, then I can pull from my undergraduate degree. If we are talking about science-related topics, I can reach my k-12 education, some university electives or shared family knowledge of sciences.

I find that the best way to demonstrate our understanding of the teachable subject areas is to first share our personal experiences, and then share our strategies for learning new content. I am happy to share resources and methods of digesting large materials with students and peers. I am also happy to share how I approach not knowing subject areas. I feel that the acknowledgement of both knowing and not knowing content is equally important when living as a lifelong learner.

I continue to develop my knowledge through interpersonal connections and collaboration. I hope to develop a diverse understanding of the k-12 curriculum that will help me to reach all learners. If I was to reach a point where I felt I have learned all there is to know, I feel that I would have failed at being a lifelong learner. There is always more to understand and experience within education.