Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility, and reputation of the profession

Pre 10-week practicum:

What does being a teacher in and out of the professional environment mean? I have heard many people describe this scenario. Some say that you need to have a personal hat and a professional hat. Others have told me a layer of prudence should be in a teacher’s life. These logically make sense, but what if I don’t want to give up who I have always been? In my worldview, I think a teacher should be a role model that brings their personal views into the classroom. Provides students with a level of transparency around what it takes to be an adult, and how struggles can and should be dealt with. Looking back on my experience in the K-12 system, I can only pick out a few teachers who broke the mould and shared what they dealt with. Those teachers were the most impactful, and I would like to emulate them as I continue the program.

I also look back to what makes an educated citizen. I would like to continue being a learner within the classroom and show students how personal development is required as a professional grows. I am not infallible, and with that, I may require someone to challenge me on occasion. I believe that being able to take that challenge and grow from it rather than crumble and lose my composure is how I can demonstrate who a teacher should be.

I am still learning about my passions and what they look like. I have pieces of myself that would love to teach completely outside the mould of the current K-12 system and parts that would like to refine my practice within. I hope to update my portfolio as I learn more about myself and who I become as the title of teacher takes root.

Post 10-week practicum:

When I think about what it means to uphold the profession, I think a lot about the things I have learned in this last practicum. The perception of the teacher is dictated by the parents and students who work alongside them. If you can not create a strong connection with your classroom families, you are not setting the groundwork for quality education. Many topics are uncomfortable (think the recent SOGI rallies), and if you can not broach those with the understanding and trust of parents, you will not be able to confidently teach the material. Some people will find it difficult to find common ground, but the majority should feel happy to leave their children with you. This practicum has taught me the gravity of a trusting relationship in education.

I believe that I build connections in my community with my whole heart, and that is one of my greatest strengths.